Search This Blog

Saturday, 16 April 2016

LEFT TO THE MERCY OF SOUTH CHINA SEA





Pantai Irama,located in the district of Bachok, is a popular beach since I was a kid in the 60s.My mother,uncles and anties took me here for picnic and swim.I have a lot memories and fun on this strip of sandy beach which is about 5km from my house at Pondok Beris where I was born.Since my late father never allow me to swim in any rivers,this is my public swimming pool of the yesteryears.

My interest in environmental issues only crept in during my early 50s.My eyes began to see many physical damages and deterioration to our environment as the nation trying harder to become modern and prosperous.Along the way,our greed and ignorant of environmental impact made us pay for the what are experiencing now with hot weather and possible threat of water shortage.Flash floods are monthly sufferings and 2014 Kelantan Flood is a great wake up call.Now,we have gone back to sleep again.Blame it on the El Nino.

I have seen and a living witness to the negative impacts of the monsoon time along the coast of Kelantan especially Pantai Cahaya Bulan and Pantai Irama.The three photos above were taken in December,2005.During the fierce monsoon winds and waves,the Souch China Sea was very rough.The existing flood and erosion concrete barriers were broken to pieces and got buried.Beautiful beaches were destroyed and lines of casuarina and coconut trees were eaten away by the raging and pounding sea waves.There was no mercy at all.



From my observation as an engineer, the repairs and rehabilitation works were done but too late and too little.What is worse,it was badly designed and destroyed the beauty of the beaches.As a local Bachok man,I am very disappointed.Beach protection and maintenance are not rocket science and space technology.And yet,we failed again and again to preserve Allah 's beautiful gift to all of us. And  we failed to deliver the trust of the next generation to ensure what we have today and handover to them in good conditions.




The above coconut trees are still there now.Every time I go back to my village,I take my sons and my grand children to  the beaches of Pantai Irama and Pantai Cahaya Bulan.I am not sure when my grand kids become adults in 20 years time,whether these beautiful beaches are there or not for them.

What are you going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment