Skip to main content

Discourse :On reading a novel..

Let me share with you a comment on my blog posting and my response:

n the books you read, but I would very much enjoy hearing your thoughts on their contents. What insights have you gained from Tuesdays with Morrie, for example? What do you think about the theory of the 'historical supression of the feminine' that the DaVinci code offers? While I appreciate the obvious intellectual component of your blog, I feel that it is lacking in depth. What are your opinions on these books? In any case, I thank you for your intelligent and interesting blog, and I wish you well.
Best,Heidi
Posted by: Heidi | Tuesday, March 09, 2004 at 03:25 PM

Hi Heidi,Thank you for reading my blog and taking time to write to me.It is interesting to know that you and me,with an age difference of more than 20 years,may be 12 time-zones apart,are reading the same books!And now we are communicating our thoughts via cyberspace.
I have finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie but still half-way through Da Vinci Code.
When I mentioned about the books I read in my blog, it was never my intention to give a review of the book because I am just an ordinary reader and I think I am not qualified to enter or to engage into an intellectual discourse about the contents of the book.My intention was to inform my readers that such books are worth reading. I leave to the readers to make their conclusions/opinions.
Since you asked for my views about Tuesdays with Morrie,I found the book is very useful as a guide to live a meaningful life-especially on human relationship.Since I am more than half a century old,I can really "connect" to what Morrie had to say due to my personal life experience. IMHO, older people will understand more than younger people.Just like when a friend asked me whether I know the meaning of poverty. When I said yes, he said no because I never experience poverty. I know but I don't understand.

There are three levels of knowledge:

1.Knowing
2.Understanding
3.Insight

Next,comes the obvious question: What is a meanigful life? That depends on your beliefs and values.As a muslim, my life is not only for this world but also for the next world(The Hereafter).
On "historical suppression of the feminine", I am sorry that I could not add further comments due to my lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

Thank you for the good wishes.My best regards to you.
Posted by: Adib | Tuesday, March 09, 2004 at 05:55 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WATER ISSUES

Cerita Kedaikopi : # 86-31.03.2002



The only way we're going to lose our relevance is if we stop learning..





"I have been reading your 'Cerita Kedaikopi' stories but I still have

not finished reading the previous ones",said

my friend who happens to be one of my avid readers."Well, I took four

years to write 85 stories but please donot

try to read them within a month. Take your time and read them at your

own pace-otherwise you will have indigestion.

By the way, don't forget to read my other weblogs and travel journals as

well", I replied. Then he asked," How come

I do not receive anything this month?





'Honestly, it is easier to read than to write. What more if one is busy

with one's own business and some urgent

family matters to attend to. My wife's uncle, a well known writer once

told me: You can't do both; either you

write or you do business. He is right and spoke from his experience. He

started writing and became a publisher

and …

MARKET PLACES

ON RAINS

I was on the Transit Train from KLIA to Putrajaya yesterday.On the way,I saw a dark cloud and I prayed to Allah to delay the rain until I arrived at Putrajaya Sentral where I park my car.On arrival,I was greeted with a down pour!OMG,now,I had to wait for the rain to stop.I was complaining..
There was no way for us to get to our car without getting wet.My wife suggested we walk around the station..May be we can buy dinner to take away.As I walked around reluctantly,we came upon a kiosk selling coffee/cakes.We were offered a small free cup of coffee as part of their product promotion.Immediately I accepted the offer.Having hot coffee on a raining day is great!
As we moved around,we came upon a Kerepok Leko Stall.This is another lovely surprise!We ordered a set of kerepok leko and enjoyed our 'high tea'.By the time we finished our meal,the rain stopped and we went to our car and drove home.

The above is my short story.The moral of the story is for you to interpret and take home a le…